To improve patients' care, outcomes and lives;
By changing physician's knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors;
Through the creation and evaluation of tools, techniques, and procedures that shift learning from the classroom to the point-of-care and the point-of-presence.
Educational informatics is the application of computers to education.
We wish to gain a deeper understanding of learning and to develop new computational tools to think with - that is new computational tools that help people learn new things in new ways.
Since 1989 we have pioneered the development in medicine of digital textbooks, digital libraries, institutional repositories and communities of practice. Our work spans the pre-Web, browseable Web, searchable Web, and social media. We are internationally recognized as experts in the design, creation, curation, operation and evaluation of digital libraries and communities of practice.
Our current research is focused on empowering physicians through learning tools that enhance learning at the point-of-care and documenting and preserving this learning to create a personalized learning environment / knowledge management / e-memory system for every physician. This research is deeply interwoven within the fabric of the discipline of Web Science.
Our current research encompasses 3 interrelated components:
What distinguishes our current research (including PediatricEducation.org and PediatricImaging.org) from others is our commitment to digital libraries, given our long history of digital library research.
- Digital libraries - organized collections of information that can be used to answer a question or solve problem - to shift learning from the classroom to the point-of-care
- Microlearning - small units of learning delivered over a short time - powered by digital libraries through social media on mobile phones to shift learning to wherever learners spend their time (point-of-presence)
- Tools to capture physician learning and turn it into knowledge stored in digital libraries
Through these tools, we have practiced a form of intellectual philanthropy.
The Internet serves an amplifier for us in that it allows the efforts of a few to have a global impact.
Our learning tools currently help 3 million learners each year on the Web, via ebooks, and on social media.
For the subjects of general pediatrics, pediatric education, pediatric imaging, pediatric radiology, radiology, radiology apps, radiology ebooks and radiology education as well as anatomy atlas, anatomy atlases and navy news - our digital libraries have the highest impact factors on the Internet and are therefore amongst the top 10 authoritative Web sites on these subjects.
For the #FOAMPed, #FOAMRad and #PedsRad hashtags - our social media accounts are amongst the Top 10 influencers and thus have the highest impact factors on the Internet and are therefore amongst the top 10 authoritative social media accounts on these subjects.
Our work has been funded by a broad spectrum of organizations including the National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Library of Medicine, Radiological Society of North America, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the US Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery, Apple Computer, and ourselves.
Learning tools we have created, organized chronologically
Learning tools we have created, organized by funding agency
- 1989 - Educational Technology Network (ETNet) - a medical education learning collaboratory
- 1991 - ElectricDiffuseLung and ElectricAirway digital textbooks - (first medical digital textbooks)
- 1992 - Virtual Hospital - a digital library of health information - (first medical digital library on the Internet.) [Reviews] [Note: the initial vision for Virtual Hospital was for what today would be termed an "eHealth" system. Thus, the first eHealth system described in the literature was Virtual Hospital. Ultimately, given our resources, we chose to focus on the digital library portion of the vision, and thus that is what Virtual Hospital is known for today. Our eHealth vision was ultimately implemented in the UIHealthCare.com eHealth portal]
- 1994 - Hitchhiker's Guide to Pediatric Imaging handheld digital textbook - (first radiology eBook)
- 1994 - Virtual Children's Hospital - a digital library of pediatric information - (first pediatric digital library on the Internet) [Reviews]
- 1994 - Paediapaedia - an imaging encyclopedia of pediatric disease - (influenced the information architecture of commercial radiology references and decision support tools
- 1995 - Virtual Computer Museum - an online computer museum for The Computer Museum
- 1995 - MedicalStudent.com - a digital library of authoritative medical information for all students of medicine [Reviews]
- 1995 - Society for Pediatric Radiology Online
- 1995 - Academic Pediatric Association Online
- 1995 - Society of Thoracic Radiology Online
- 1996 - Virtual Pediatric Patients - a digital storytelling system for teaching common pediatric problems
- 1996 - Back Pain in Children
- 1997 - Virtual Naval Hospital - a digital library of naval medicine and military medicine [Reviews]
- 1997 - E-Map - An electronic map of high quality information on the Internet [Reviews]
- 1997 - PediatricRadiology.com - a pediatric radiology and pediatric imaging digital library [Reviews]
- 1997 - Correlapaedia - a correlative encyclopedia of pediatric imaging, surgery, and pathology
- 1997 - MetaTextbook of Pediatric Radiology
- 1997 - Thoracopaedia - an imaging encyclopedia of pediatric thoracic disease
- 1998 - GeneralPediatrics.com - the general pediatrician's view of the Internet [Reviews]
- 1999 - UIHealthCare.com - the eHealth portal of University of Iowa Health Care
- 2000 - Naval Open Source Intelligence - A digital library of world naval operational news, curated from open source intelligence [Facebook Page] [Twitter] [Reviews]
- 2001 - Common Questions Quick Answers Pediatrics
- 2002 - RadiologyEducation.com - a digital library of radiology education resources [Reviews]
- 2002 - AskRadiographics.org - a demonstration point-of-care reference for radiology learning and continuing education - (influenced the creation of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology's Ask RadPath and AskAFIP sites)
- 2003 - BiodefenseEducation.org - a biodefense digital library and learning collaboratory [Reviews]
- 2003 - PediatricEducation.org - a pediatric digital library and learning collaboratory [Facebook Page][Twitter][Reviews]
- 2006 - Virtual Pediatric Hospital - a digital library of pediatric information [Reviews]
- 2006 - Anatomy Atlases - a digital library of anatomy [Reviews]
- 2006 - SearchingRadiology.com - searching radiology peer-reviewed information [Reviews]
- 2007 - RCollaboration - an on-line community of practice for radiologists at all levels of training [Reviews]
- 2008 - SearchingPediatrics.com - searching pediatric peer-reviewed information [Reviews]
- 2008 - War Studies Primer - An introductory course on the study of war. [Facebook Page] [Reviews]
- 2009 - Pediatric Research - enhancing communication and collaboration in pediatric research [Reviews]
- 2009 - Pediatric Commons - a community of pediatric learning, teaching, sharing and collaboration [Reviews]
- 2009 - P-8 Poseidon God of the Sea - Operational naval news and discussion on the P-8 Poseidon as well as the world wide VP / maritime patrol aircraft community [Reviews]
- 2011 - SearchingMed.com - searching medical peer-reviewed information [Reviews]
- 2012 - Astrobiology Survey - An introductory course on astrobiology. [Facebook Page] [Reviews]
- 2013 - RadiologyEbooks.com - a digital library of free educational radiology Ebooks and radiology Apps [Reviews]
- 2013 - Computer Histories - A history of computing in 100 people, places, and things. [Facebook Page] [Reviews]
- 2014 - @pedsimaging - a curated stream of pediatric imaging information on Twitter [Reviews]
- 2016 - Apprenticechip - Case studies in digital libraries [Facebook Page] [Reviews]
- 2019 - Pediatric Imaging - a pediatric radiology textbook and digital library [Facebook Page] [Instagram] [Twitter] [Reviews]
Learning tools mirrored around the world
- National Institutes of Health - Pediatric Research
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases - BiodefenseEducation.org
- National Library of Medicine - Educational Technology Network, Virtual Hospital, Virtual Children's Hospital
- Radiological Society of North America - PediatricRadiology.com, RCollaboration
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation - GeneralPediatrics.com
- United States Navy Bureau of Medicine and Surgery - Virtual Naval Hospital
- Apple Computer - Virtual Hospital, Virtual Children's Hospital
- Academic Pediatric Association - Academic Pediatric Association Online
- Society for Pediatric Radiology - Society for Pediatric Radiology Online
- Society of Thoracic Radiology - Society of Thoracic Radiology Online
- University of Iowa - Virtual Hospital, Virtual Children's Hospital, UIHealthCare.com
- Ourselves - Anatomy Atlases, AskRadiographics.org, Back Pain in Children, BiodefenseEducation.org, Common Questions Quick Answers Pediatrics, Correlapaedia, GeneralPediatrics.com, Hitchhiker's Guide to Pediatric Imaging, MedicalStudent.com, MetaTextbook of Pediatric Radiology, Paediapaedia, Pediatric Commons, PediatricEducation.org, Pediatric Imaging, PediatricRadiology.com, RadiologyEducation.com, SearchingMed.com, SearchingPediatrics.com, SearchingRadiology.com, Thoracopaedia, Virtual Pediatric Hospital, Virtual Pediatric Patients
Awards we have won
- AnatomyAtlases.org and PediatricEducation.org and Virtual Pediatric Hospital digital libraries are mirrored in the eGranary digital library which is installed in over 1,400 libraries serving 3-4 million people throughout the developing world who lack reliable broadband Internet access via the Widernet project.
- AnatomyAtlases.org and Virtual Pediatric Hospital digital libraries are mirrored to over 40 countries in the developing world who lack reliable broadband Internet access via the FreeBasics project sponsored by Facebook.
- The Medical Library Association's John P. McGovern M.D. Award in Information and Communication for Virtual Hospital
- Society for Pediatric Radiology's Singleton-Taybi Education Award for pediatric radiology education
- Royal College of Radiologist's Blue Skies Award for RCollaboration
- American Academy of Pediatrics' Best of the Pediatric Internet Award for Correlapaedia, ElectricAirway and Paediapaedia
- Consumer and Patient Health Information Section (CAPHIS) of the Medical Library Association named Virtual Pediatric Hospital to be one of the "Top 100 Health Websites You Can Trust" and specifically to be one of the top 10 Parenting and Kids Websites.
- Department of the Navy's Award for Knowledge Sharing - Outstanding Knowledge Expert System for Virtual Naval Hospital
- Scientific American's Sci/Tech Web Award for Virtual Hospital
- Computer Museum's exhibition entitled "The Networked Planet: Traveling the Information Highway" featured Virtual Hospital
- The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog (First Edition) recognized Educational Technology Network (ETNet) as one of the original medical Internet sites
- International Association of Business Communicators Golden Quill Award in organizational communication for UIHealthCare.com
EducationalInformatics.org is curated by Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
All contents copyright © 2004-2021 Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D. All rights reserved.
"EducationalInformatics.org," the EducationalInformatics.org logo, and "A laboratory for the study of educational informatics" are all Trademarks of Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D.
EducationalInformatics.org is funded in whole by Donna M. D'Alessandro, M.D. and Michael P. D'Alessandro, M.D. Advertising is not accepted.
Last Revised: January 1, 2021